Apprenticeship Opportunities 2021
Translink, operating as Ulsterbus, Metro, Northern Ireland Railways and NITHCo, provide bus and rail services across Northern Ireland.
Bus and Rail Engineering Apprenticeships
In order to maintain and develop the highest standards of engineering, we have identified opportunities for structured 4-year Apprenticeships which will commence in September 2021. This Translink Apprenticeship Programme will give you the skills, knowledge and behaviours to become an Engineer.
We currently have bus and rail engineering apprenticeships available across Northern Ireland in the following trades:
- Bus Engineering - Technical Trades
- Bus Engineering - Body Trades
- Rail - Plant Technician
Infrastructure & Projects Apprenticeships
The Translink Infrastructure and Projects department manages, monitors, maintains and reviews all infrastructure and projects that support NI Railways, Ulsterbus, Metro and Glider services. Translink Infrastructure and Projects teams are involved from the inception planning stage right through to construction and completion of projects and play a vital role in the successful delivery of key developments, including the award-winning North-West Multimodal Transport Hub and the future Weavers Cross Regeneration.
Infrastructure and Projects Apprenticeship opportunities will include:
- Civil/Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Signalling & Telecoms)
- Rail Engineering (Track)
- Property Maintenance – Plumbing, Joinery, Electrical Installation
An apprenticeship is a real job offering hands on experience, comprehensive training and a technical qualification all whilst earning a salary. The Translink Apprenticeship Programme will give you the skills, knowledge and behaviours to become an Engineer.
Anyone aged 16 or over can become an apprentice, there is no upper age limit. All our apprentices are fully employed by Translink from the first day of their apprenticeship with a contract of employment, paid holidays and many other competitive benefits. As an apprentice you will be working with experienced staff and learning from colleagues across all levels of the business.
Apprentice performance is consistently monitored and appraised. Completing an apprenticeship with Translink will equip you with skills for life as well as enabling you to secure permanent employment and gain a professional level 3 NVQ qualification.
This apprenticeship involves a combination of working and learning on site at a Translink workshop for 4 days a week whilst attending college on one day to complete a formal NVQ Qualification. You will benefit from the knowledge of skilled professionals who will support you as you learn.
Practical on-the-job training
Gain experience and a professionally accredited qualification at the same time at no monetary cost to you!
Weekly training salary
Career progression and personal development
Minimum of 25 days annual leave + set public holidays (pro rata)
Free travel (subject to eligibility) on Translink services.
Attractive NILGOSC Pension Scheme
Opportunity to join Employee Benefits Scheme offering you discounts from local retailers and service providers including restaurants, gym membership, hotels, cinemas etc.
Kevin DohertyYear 3 Apprentice
"I studied Advertising & Marketing at the University of Ulster where I graduated with a 1st class honours degree. I then worked within the marketing industry as a Marketing Executive for a number of different companies... Read More
Ciara McIlroyYear 1 Apprentice
"After completing my A-levels at school, I went to Belfast to study Business (HNC). Although I found Business interesting, I realised that I didn’t like the idea of sitting in an office 5 days a week.... Read More
- All applicants require a minimum of 5 GCSE’s at grade C or above (or equivalent qualification) including Maths and English or be expecting to receive these by August 2021
- Minimum of grade B in Maths is desirable for Civil and Structural Engineering
- Experience of using Microsoft Office packages
- Able to demonstrate examples of a practical hands-on approach
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Committed, self-motivated and willing to respond to the needs of the Apprenticeship scheme
- Excellent communication skills
- Understand how to provide an excellent customer experience
- Aged 16 years old or over on or before the 1st August 2021 for Engineering Apprenticeships
- Aged 18 years old or over on or before the 1st August 2021 for Infrastructure & Projects Apprenticeships
- Minimum of a grade B in GCSE Maths (or equivalent qualification) is required for Civil and Structural Engineering Apprenticeship
- Online application form
- Online aptitude tests
- Pre-employment references, qualification and medical checks (if successful)
Still having a look about? You might also be interested in this...
We employ around 4200 people across various locations throughout Northern Ireland. Find Out More
We use a range of processes to select the most appropriate candidate for a job. More on Our Recruitment Process
Our 2 year (Operations) and 3 year (Engineering) training programmes will see you undertake placements throughout the business to provide you with the all-round skills you need to be a future Business or Engineering Manager in Translink. More on Our Programme