The granite peaks of the Mourne Mountains are the highest and most dramatic in Northern Ireland
• Newcastle Beach and Promenade
• Silent Valley Mountain Park
• The Mourne Wall
• Tollymore Forest Park
• Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
• Spelga Dam
• Hare's Gap
• Royal Co. Down Golf Club, Newcastle
The Mourne Mountains are an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' dominated by a compact ring of 12 mountains with 6 peaks over 600m with Slieve Donard being the highest at 853m! The area actually provided the inspiration for CS Lewis to write the Chronicles of Naria.
The Mourne Mountains and the surrounding areas are the perfect setting for any outdoor adventurers.
• Mourne Way Marahton Kilbroney Park Rostrevor, 8 June 2013 (www.discovernorthernireland.com)
• Celtic Fusion International Music Arts Festival Castlewellan, 28 - 30 June 2013 (www.celticfusion.co.uk)
• Mourne International Walking FestivalMourne Mountains, Newcastle , 28 - 30 June 2013(www.mournewalking.co.uk)
• World Police and Fire games Kilbroney Park Rostrevor (www.2013wpfg.com)
• The Mourne Lodge, Attical (www.themournelodge.com)
• Cornmill Quay Hostel, Annalong (028 4377 0714)
• Glenada Y.M.C.A., Newcastle(www.glenada.co.uk)
• Meelmore Lodge, Bryansford (www.meelmorelodge.co.uk)
• The Rock Amenity Area, Bryansford(028 4377 8932)
• Tollymore National Outdoor Centre, (www.tollymore.com)
• Tory Bush Cottages, Bryansford (www.torybush.com)
• Mourne Cycle Tours(028 4372 4348)
• Services 17/17a/240 are available from Newcastle to Castlewellan Forest Park, with its Castle and lake. If you enjoy Tollymore Forest Park this is another option for woodland walking in the area.
• To see what's on offer further afield, Service 26B operates from Newcastle to Lisburn and Sprucefield Shopping Centre, with stops in Seaforde and Ballynahinch. Service 20 is also available for Belfast.
• Explore other areas of the South East Coast, visit Kilkeel and Cranfield Beach with the 407 Kilkeel Rambler. Service 39 is also available for Rostrevor, Warrenpoint and Newry.
• Service 17/17a also serves Downpatrick. Visit the St Patrick's Centre, the Down County Museum, the Down Arts Centre and the Downpatrick and Co. Down Railway.