Translink NI Railways has started the second phase of a major engineering project to complete re-signalling works and a passing loop on the Coleraine to Derry-Londonderry railway line.
Translink Infrastructure team will work closely with two contractors:
- Babcock, a leading business in the UK rail infrastructure market to deliver the signalling scheme and;
- McLaughlin & Harvey, who have also been awarded the contract for the construction of a passing loop at Bellarena and platform extensions at Castlerock.
The work started June 2015 and will be substantially complete by the end of 2016
Two new platforms at Bellarena Train Station were opened marking a major milestone in the second phase of the Coleraine to Londonderry railway project. Read More >
Translink engineering work will commence on the Derry-Londonderry rail line from the 1 November until 20 November 2016.
On the 1 and 2 of November there will be timetable changes. From 3 - 20 November bus substitions will operate between certain stations.
When the work is completed it will mean a more resilient rail service to and from Derry-Londonderry including the potential for more frequent and faster journeys.
- Upgrade of the signalling systems
- New passing loop at Bellarena facilitating an improved timetable with faster, more frequent journeys
- Maintaining high safety standards of the line
- Improve safety provision at User Worked Crossing
- Maintaining reliability of the line.
- Reduce the need for on-going essential engineering works.
- Enhanced operational efficiency through consolidation of signalling into Coleraine signalling box.
Night Time Works
Most of the work will primarily be carried out during the night using on track machinery and generators. We are working hard with our contractors to keep any noise impact to a minimum and have taken steps to advise the local community in those affected areas.
We would appeal to the public to keep vigilant around level-crossings during this intensive phase of engineering work – trains will be operating day and night.
Building on Our Success
The Derry-Londonderry line is already extremely successful boosting strong passenger growth - up 12% last year.
This project is another milestone in the long term future and sustainability of this important rail corridor. We are pleased to have this scheme underway demonstrating our unwavering commitment to local train services for the area.
Platform extension work at Castlerock, part of the Coleraine to Derry-Londonderry upgrade is progressing well.