NI Railways Conditions of Carriage
The following policies are in the interest of passenger safety, comfort and service efficiency. These policies reflect customer preferences from an extensive consultation process.
Dog / Animal Policy
- Dogs/Animals will not be permitted on trains prior to 0930 hours, Monday - Sunday (with the exception of assistance animals)
- Dogs/Animals may travel free of charge after 0930 hours, at the discretion of an authorised member of staff (maximum 1 per person)
- Dogs/Animals should be of a size that they can be kept under a seat or around the feet of the owner without causing an obstruction
- Dogs/Animals must be clean, adequately controlled and kept on a leash at all times, unless contained in an appropriate container
- Dog/Animal must travel on the floor throughout the journey, and if found to occupy a seat/table, the owner will be liable to a penalty charge.
- Dogs/Animals deemed as dangerous by an authorised member of staff will not be carried on any train service
- All bicycles (subject to the conditions below) will be carried FREE of charge on trains.
- Bicycles will not be permitted on trains prior to 0930 hours Monday to Friday.
- Up to 4 full sized bicycles can be carried at any one time within the designated bicycle area. Space will be allocated on a first come first served basis, in the designated area, and at the discretion of the Conductor. There is NO bicycle reservation system.
- There are NO travel restrictions nor limit to the number of ‘folding bicycles’ we can carry, provided they are completely folded down.
- Tandems, tricycles, motorcycles, mopeds, motorised cycles and scooters are not permitted on any train.
- Bicycles will not be carried during periods of bus substitution.
- Bicycle parking shelters are available at many main stations throughout the rail network.
No Smoking Policy
- It is not permitted to smoke in any NI Railways building or on board any train. View our 'No Smoking' policy>>
Penalty Fares Policy
- Passengers travelling without a valid ticket and who have had an opportunity to purchase one will be issued with a penalty fare.
- The Penalty Fare for NOT having a ticket will be £20* plus the full single fare for the journey made. Alternatively offenders may be prosecuted resulting in a criminal conviction. Maximum penalty £1000.
*From 13th June 2016 the penalty fare increases to £50
Passengers are not permitted to carry alcohol on board Bangor, Larne, Portadown/Newry, Londonderry and Portrush local trains.
- CCTV cameras are now installed on C3k trains and at selected locations. Images are recorded and monitored for your safety and to help prevent crime.
- This scheme is controlled by Translink.
- For further information telephone 028 9075 9110
NI Railways reserves the right not to carry any passengers who are in breach of these policies, cause discomfort or otherwise be a nuisance to other rail users or cause damage to railway property.
For further details phone our Contact Centre: 028 90 66 66 30 Monday - Friday 7am to 8pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am to 6pm.