FREE TRAVEL is available to all Senior Citizens who are 65 years of age or over and who are resident in Northern Ireland (you must have been resident in Northern Ireland for a minimum of 3 months to be eligible).
With a Senior SmartPass you can travel anywhere in Northern Ireland on any Translink bus or rail service completely free of charge. You can also enjoy free cross border travel.
Posters from our Senior Campaign
Free travel in Republic of Ireland for senior citizens
All Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland senior citizens can now avail of free internal travel in both jurisdictions.
More detailed information on the Senior Smartpass can be found on the Department for Regional Development website >>
How to apply for your Senior SmartPass
- You can obtain an application form from any main bus or rail station.
- You can also obtain an application form by contacting the Translink Contact Centre - telephone 028 90 66 66 30, Monday to Friday 7am to 8pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am to 6pm.
- Simply complete the form and get both the form and photograph countersigned by some aged 18 or over who is a permanent resident of Northern Ireland who has known you for at least two years and is not a relative.
- Then take the completed form in person to your local bus or rail station with your recent colour passport-sized photograph, proof of age and proof of residency.
- Your details will then be processed and your new pass will be posted to you in approximately six to eight weeks.
- The following documentation only can be used to verify your proof of age and residency in NI:
Proof of Age
- Birth Certificate *
- Driving Licence
- Electoral Identity Card
* Married women must also produce their marriage certificate to confirm a change of surname
Proof of Residency
- Recent* utilities bill: gas, electric or landline telephone bill
- Recent* bank/building society statement
- Drivers Licence
- Electoral Identity Card
*Recent is defined as no more than 3 months old
You must have been resident in Northern Ireland for a minimum of 3 months to be eligible.
- Apply NOW for your Senior SmartPass to keep you on the move with Translink.
- For all details contact your local bus or rail station, or telephone the Translink Contact Centre on 028 90 66 66 30.
- All Senior Citizens are required to state their destination stop to the driver, even though they are travelling free on presentation of their concession pass/Senior SmartPass, to obtain the correct ticket.
Please note your application may take 6 - 8 weeks to process.
Note to 60+ SmartPass Holders who will turn 65 shortly
60+ SmartPass holders will receive notification shortly before they turn 65 asking if they want to renew and receive a Senior SmartPass. They should respond to the letter or postcard to ensure they can still avail of free Concessionary Travel in Northern Ireland and, when they receive their 65+ Senior SmartPass also avail of free Concessionary Travel in the Republic of Ireland.
Please note that 60+ SmartPasses are programmed to expire on the last day of the month in which the holder turns 65, and depending on the date of their birthday, passengers may not receive their Senior SmartPass until as long as three weeks after their 65th birthday. Passengers may not avail of cross border and All-Ireland travel until they have reached the age of 65 AND are in possession of a Senior SmartPass.
Renewing your Senior SmartPass
SmartPasses are only valid for five years. Please check the expiry date on the front of your SmartPass to determine when it will expire as it cannot be used to obtain free travel after this date.
Approximately three months before each SmartPass expires the Department for Regional Development will write to pass holders explaining how to get a new pass.
A dedicated user helpline has also been set up on 0845 600 0049 for those seeking further information.
Travel Tips for Seniors
Translink has worked with Engage with Age to come up with some top tips for staying safe when travelling by bus and train.
Download our "Travel Tips for Seniors" leaflet >>
View All Special Offers