Currently you can only apply for a TaxSmart card if your employer has signed up to the scheme.
If your employer has not yet joined the scheme, they can find out more by completing the enquiry form here >>
What is TaxSmart?
TaxSmart is the name of Translink’s annual bus travel card available through an employer salary sacrifice scheme.
In the interests of sustainable transport, your employer wants to encourage you to use bus services to travel to and from work, rather than using less environmentally friendly methods of transport such as a private car.
With TaxSmart you save money on Income Tax and National Insurance contributions by paying for your bus travel directly from your salary. You can save up to 32%* on your annual bus travel. This is an additional discount on top of the significant savings already available to customers who purchase Translink annual bus travel cards outside the TaxSmart scheme.
Download the TaxSmart leaflet here
Download the TaxSmart Terms & Conditions here
* The exact saving to you depends on your personal circumstances and can only be taken as an example of the potential saving. If you are a higher rate taxpayer you could save even more.
How to apply
To apply you can either:
- Complete a Request for Quotation Form online at www.translinktaxsmart.co.uk. The Employer I.D. and password to access the website are available from your employer (if your employer has signed up to the scheme).
- Ask your employer for a TaxSmart Scheme Request for Quotation pack.
- Call the Translink Contact Centre on 028 90 66 66 30 and they will post you a Request for Quotation pack.
Fill in the Request for Quotation Form and Translink will send you a quotation for your TaxSmart Card including an Application Form to join the TaxSmart Scheme.
You then need to sign the TaxSmart Application Form and pass it on to your employer with a colour photograph. Your employer will process your Application Form and you, or your employer, should send it to Translink before the date specified on the form.
Types of Cards
There are 3 types of TaxSmart Card that provide unlimited travel between home and work on a specific point to point bus journey and are priced accordingly:
Valid for unlimited travel on a specific Metro point to point bus journey e.g. Lisburn Road to Stormont.
Valid for unlimited travel on a specific Ulsterbus point to point bus journey within Northern Ireland* e.g. Bangor to Belfast.
* a small number of exceptions apply
Metro & Ulsterbus:
Valid for combined unlimited point to point travel on Ulsterbus and Metro e.g. Comber to Belfast with Ulsterbus and Belfast City Centre to Ormeau Road with Metro.
To be eligible for a TaxSmart Card you must be:
- A UK Taxpayer.
- Earning above the National Minimum Wage hourly rate.
- Have a fixed term or permanent contract of employment of not less than 12 months.
- Employed on a full or part-time basis.
- Paid directly by your employer.
- Employed by a participating employer that is registered with the Translink TaxSmart Scheme.